May 24, 2009

Darkness

Having just finished packing I could not wait for the next 2 weeks in Europe. France, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, it was going to be much needed time outside India. With nothing left to do I sat down to see what was on TV. Finding myself channel flipping and continually checking the clock I decided a pizza would help slice the time. Standing up I heard a weird clicking noise coming from the front foyer. Like taking a car to the mechanic the sound stopped as soon as I left the TV room. Apparently when the sound stopped so did my TV as when I returned the entire room was dark. Looks like I will be dining at the restaurant as opposed to take away tonight.

Upon returning home I heard the refrigerator running which means power had been restored, yet when I flipped the light switch the room remained dark. Thinking the fuse had blown I checked the fuse box but everything appeared to be in order. Curious, I pressed the test button and like it should the fuse popped. Flipping the switches back on the clicking noise started again. It was at that moment that I realized it was wires shorting together from within the fuse block and the clicking noises were actually sparks. Maybe that’s why all of the buildings are poured concrete instead of wood. Shutting down the entire block I hoped my flat would not burn down while in was absent. Calling up a co-worker I asked him to call Stella on Monday hoping it would be fixed before I returned.

No TV, no internet, how am I supposed to remain occupied until my plane takes off in 8 hours? I guess I could find entertainment like they used to back before there were cable modems and satellite TV. With a book in hand I stretched out on my bed. Using the book to prop up my laptop I began watching a movie that I had stored on my computer. You didn’t actually think I was going to read did you?

And you wondered why I needed a break from India.

Blake

No comments: