May 3, 2009

Overseas Women’s Club Outing

In 1959, 3 women found a need for a club designed specifically for women of different nationalities who were temporarily living in London. Since creation this group has expanded outside of London and now exists in several countries and major cities. Primarily composed of married women who have been relocated due to their husband’s job the group has formally expanded to allow both men and women possessing a foreign passport to join and partake in the group’s activities. Though this may sound like an excellent way to meet and pickup chicks while doing my time in India, I decided not to join the group. Matt’s wife did not feel the same way and has since become the group’s president which has had remarkable results for me.

With tonight being the OWC night out Matt asked me to tag along. I am pretty sure him asking me to go was not for my well being but instead a sure fire way to make sure he was not stuck at home watching the kids while his wife was out parting. Being the nice guy that I am I decided I would cancel my current plans, which consisted of sitting at home alone watching TV, and join him for a drink or 5.

Meeting at the Taj Regency Ice Bar, Matt and I decided would chill in the corner and complete some work items that we had left outstanding. Now why can’t the office look like this? Perfect 75 degree weather, a cold beer in a frosty glass perched upon a fine wooden table, surrounded by palm trees, a dimly lit pool, and a group full of women that looked over every time Matt’s wife made a comment about us. Having finished or work, 4 beers, and getting bored sitting in the corner Matt and I decided it was time to go make friends. We knew it was woman’s night out and that we did not belong to the group but they had all been drinking all night and it was almost closing time (11:30) so no one was going to care if we crashed the event. Walking over Matt’s wife greeted us and introduced us to the 3 ladies she was currently talking to. One lady, Karin, originally from the States (Ohio) but spending a lot of her life in London, has just recently moved to Bangalore. Moving to India by herself she also has not created a large friend base here in India. Grabbing my new friend’s mobile number Karin, Matt, Stacy, and I all decided to called it a night. Not really by choice but the bar kicked us all out.

Blake

No comments: