January 9, 2009

The first day back

Getting off the plane I was only hoping for two things, all of my luggage to make it in one piece and to have the same driver as when I left India. Breezing through the initial country checkpoint I scurried to baggage claim. After what seemed like forever, actually only 15 min, both bags appeared around the corner. 1 hope down, 1 to go. Next is customs. “Do you have any meat, vegetables, or seeds?” asks the customs officer to which I quickly respond with “no”. Little did he know I was really in possession of 9 bags of beef jerky. Past customs and headed out the front door I was pleasantly surprised by Uday’s smiling face, hope 2 completed. Bags in tow we head off to the car in this straggly uncommon foggy yet 70 degree weather. Back to my new life.

A few hours of unpacking and a shower I dressed and headed to work. With the jet lag not yet kicking in I figured I would stop by to see how the Calvary is doing, shocked, yet happy to see me they all wished me Happy New Year and asked about my holidays. Things are settling back into place and it will now be much easier to run an office now that I am actually located in it. After 4 hours my eyelids are beginning to force themselves shut, meaning it is time for me to head home. Packing up and bidding everyone good day, I head home for yet another surprise. My key would not let me in the front door of my own apartment. Lock, unlock, door sticks shut, lock, unlock, door sticks shut. In a last ditch attempt I ring the door bell. Seriously, who rings the doorbell to their own apartment? The door opens….has the person who has broken into my house actually been dumb enough to open the front door when the doorbell rang….do I stick around or run? Turns out it was Stella and she was just as shocked to see me as I was to see her. Putting things away I headed to the couch for nap, its rough traveling.

Blake

No comments: