January 11, 2009

Going out with the guys

Friday after work I had the privilege of being invited out with some of the guys. We headed to a local hangout, Ginger Greens. Walking in and up a flight of stairs we pick a table where the 9 of us could be loud and not disturb the peace. Since I am yet to venture out after dark I had no idea what to expect. Sitting down, some order beer and mixed drinks, other only Pepsi or Thumbs Up. I order a large “Kingfisher Strong”, which turned out to be the size of a 40 but at the measly price of $1.80 US. Speaking in a mix of Hindi, local Karnataka, and very little English, I am struggling to figure out what is going on. Browsing the menu only leads me to even more confusion. Thinking this through, I sat back with beer in hand and just started going with the flow. Soon enough they began ordering appetizers to share with the table. They were very excited to place a little of everything on my plate and watch my face as I took the first bite. Chilly eggs, chicken lollipops, vegetable dishes, fish plates, and or course rice. Some spicy, some sweet, all of them are very tasty. A couple of jumbo beers and many appetizers later it is time for me to leave. Since I did not actually look in-depth at a menu I have no idea how much all of this cost and I am forced to ask how much I owe logically assuming they would rip the dumb American off like the rest of the stores attempt to do in this country. To my shock I was told I don’t owe anything as it was not my turn. Still not sinking in I ask again only to have them explain to me that they do this quiet often and each time someone new pays for the bill. This trip was not my turn and therefore I did not owe anything. I should have ordered another beer! Knowing that I will be invited at least one more time, when it is my turn to pay, I grab my things and head home for the night. This was way better than sitting home by myself watching bad HBO movies.


"Going out with the guys" Pictures

Blake

No comments: