February 1, 2009

I quit, I’m moving home

Having completely eaten all of my dinner from the night before, I headed off to work without a lunch. Checking the calendar in preparation for the day I realized I had no need to worry as today was not a meeting filled day and I would have plenty of time to order take away. About 12:30 pm a downtime notification comes out across the outlook distribution list. Remembering the good old days, I dial the conference number and prepare to help the IRC quickly resolve this client issue. In the fashion of the good old days, answering downtime calls before lunch is never a good idea. They are sure to run on, and on, and on, and on, and well you get the point. Stuck on the call I still managed to convince Matt that he wanted to eat more than just the little bowl of rice he brought and conned him into ordering me a pizza. During a slow point in the call I glance at the menu and pick out my order passing it on to Matt. Like a baseball manager he picked up the dugout phone and called in for some help, only difference being that he dialed Pizza Hut and not the bull pen in left field. Looking at me he started shaking his head side to side. This was a very confusing action as all Indians will make this gesture to show they understand what you are telling them or asking them to do. Had Matt fully converted to the Indian culture, surly not being that he had only been here for a month? Answering my thoughts he walked over to my desk and I could tell from his face that he had not turned Indian and that it was in fact the white man’s disappointment head shake. “Pizza Hut no longer delivers here”, he utters to me. AHHHHHHHHHHH, doing the only logical thing I could think of I quickly Google search “Dominos and Bangalore, India”. Finding the menu I attempt to find a location near the office area. Hungry I quickly throw in the towel and asked a co-worker to come over and assist me. He too was shaking his head side to side but it was in fact the Indian I understand shake. Looking and looking he too offered bad news, none of the locations are close enough to deliver to our office. Now almost 2 pm, we did exactly what we did not want to do and we ordered from Pizza Corner. With barely any sauce it tasted like cheese covered cardboard which was only slightly better than going hungry. Even the parmesan cheese I asked for would not make this pizza taste any better. Pizza Hut no longer delivers to our office, what has this world come to? I quit, I’m moving home.

Blake

No comments: