January 17, 2009

Request number one

Though I have become accustomed to the Indian food that is made for me every day, there are some days that I dread eating last night’s leftovers for today’s lunch. Around 1:00 pm, the standard India lunch time, I opened up my box (that’s Indian for lunch box) to reveal last night’s leftovers. Rice, covered in some kind of green paste that has the consistently of mud, containing 4 of 5 wing sized pieces of chicken. UMMMMMM tasty. Barely surviving on it last night I quickly re-lid my box and dial pizza hut. Having ordered pizza a few other times when I did not bring my lunch I knew exactly what to expect. Dialing the number I am greeted by a woman’s voice. “Delivery please”, I tell her. I am pretty sure she followed by asking me for delivery address but I am not entirely sure. If you think is hard to understand and Indian person when physically talking to them try doing it on the phone (insert tech support joke here). Like any other American in a foreign country I just assume the locals will comply to what I want to do and I attempt to tell her the address whether or not that is what she asked me for. Just ask I did not understand here, she had no idea what I told her. Apparently I have an accent and she cannot understand it. Throwing in the towel I hand the phone to the co-worker behind me. Kindly she takes the phone and orders my pizza for me. It’s real easy when you speak in a local tongue. Unlike the States when you order delivery and pay with a credit card you do not give the card number while ordering. Approximately 10-15 min after ordering the manager will call you back and ask for the card number. They don’t trust their employees with your card number, but they will let them take cash when paying in the store….. 40 min later my Chicken Hawaiian pizza arrives. Signing the receipt I walk back to my desk now incredibly hungry. In India, just like the States, pizza is delivered with a variety of condiments. However, these condiments include Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and ketchup. Yup, ketchup. Turning to my computer I send one last email before indulging in this wonderful smelling pizza. Addressed to a few reliable friends back home who have been telling me to let them know what I want them to send me, I make request number one, Papa John’s parmesan cheese packets.

Pizza Hut Menu

Blake

No comments: